The holidays are one of the most wonderful times of the year in Athens County! Get into the holiday spirit with festivities all December long in Nelsonville.
Create memories while exploring the decorated historic Historic Public Square, picking up unique gifts for everyone on your list at local shops and meeting with Santa.
Here are our five picks for holiday fun in Nelsonville:
- Hocking Valley Scenic Railway Santa Train. All aboard! Visit with the Jolly Old Elf himself while steaming through the beautiful Hocking River Valley. Kids receive a special candy cane treat during the 2-hour, 20-mile ride. Hop on every Saturday and Sunday, now through Dec. 20, at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Enjoy a special evening departure on Saturday, Dec. 5 and Dec. 12 at 6 p.m. See why this ride has become a decades-long holiday family tradition!
- Santa’s Workshop. All the good little boys and girls can visit Mr. Claus at his workshop on Nelsonville historic Public Square every Saturday and Sunday, now through Dec. 20, from noon until 6 p.m.
- Lighting of the Public Square. Lights, camera, action! Watch Nelsonville’s historic Public Square come alive with lights and Christmas cheer on Friday, Dec. 4. There will be a dazzling display of holiday lights, a surprise holiday concert and a sneak peak of Santa’s Worship.
- Christmas Parade. Welcome Santa to town during the annual Christmas parade! Join the fun at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 5. Ring in the season with a steaming cup of hot cocoa from FullBrooks Café!
- Charlotte’s Web: The Musical. Bring the family for a night out at the theater! Enjoy a classic twist on E.B. White’s beloved tale about a special pig, Wilbur, and his adventures with a new-found companion, Charlotte. This toe-tapping musical will have performances at Stuart’s Opera House on Friday, Dec. 4, Saturday, Dec. 5 and Sunday, Dec. 6.
While you’re in town, head to Rhapsody Music & Dining, where Master Chef Alfonso Contrisciani gives a fresh flavor to old favorites on the Appalachian farm-to-table menu.
Happy Holidays from Athens, and we’ll see you under the lights in Nelsonville!