When it comes to Halloween, very few towns across the nation celebrate like we do in Athens, Ohio. On Saturday, Oct. 28, 20,000-30,000 people in costume will descend upon Court Street for a massive annual block party, ranking it the nation’s 2nd largest block party, after Mardi Gras. From a larger than life puppet parade to the famous block party, count on Athens for an unforgettable Halloween.
The best part of it all? The creative costumes! Here are a few easy Athens-themed DIY costume ideas that will be a hit on Court Street, and won’t break the bank.
Burrito Buggy Burrito
This is SO Athens. Dress up as a burrito from Burrito Buggy!
- Wrap yourself in aluminum foil
- Layer a tan fabric underneath the top of the aluminum for the tortilla
- Stuff the top of your costume with green, brown and red tissue paper for burrito ingredients
- Write “Burrito Buggy” on the aluminum
If you have time to spare, get extra creative with this burrito costume!
OU Football Player
Dress as everyone’s favorite team this Halloween when you go as an Ohio University football player!
- Grab a white football helmet
- Decorate the helmet at needed
- Wear an Ohio University football jersey
- Dance your way up and down Court Street – those Bobcats have moves!
OU Mom or Dad
Head to the local thrift store for all the essential items needed to be an Ohio University mom or dad! It’s comfortable, simple and hilarious.
- Tuck an “Ohio University Mom (or Dad)” shirt into high-waisted jeans
- Throw on an OU sun visor
- Lace up a pair of Keds
- Don’t forget your fanny pack!
Be the most beloved street in town, while on Court Street.
- Use a black permanent marker to make rectangular blocks on a red shirt
- Add “Athens Block” to random blocks all over the shirt
- Using green construction paper, design a “Court Street” street sign
- Pin the sign at the top of your shirt, attach it to a headband or wear it as a necklace!
What are you dressing as this HallOUween? Show off your costume using #AthensOhio!