Halloween is one of the busiest weekends of the year in Athens! Not only are the hills bursting with fall color, but the famous annual Halloween block party Uptown is expected to bring in hundreds of out-of-town visitors for bands, fun and a larger-than-life puppet parade.
For those who are spending Halloween in Athens, here are five can’t-miss family-friendly events:
- Giant puppets will gallivant down Court Street during the Honey for the Heart Parade, starting at 6:00 pm on Saturday, October 29. These puppets are constructed from recycled materials by community members under the guidance of an artist-in-residence, an engineer and a puppet master. It’s like nothing you’ve ever seen before!
- An amazing mix of costumes, free live music, food and art vendors bring ghosts and goblins of all ages to the Athens Halloween Block Party. After the Honey for the Heart Parade, local and regional bands take to two stages starting at 6:00 p.m., and a special costume contest will begin at 9:00 p.m. on the Lokoween Stage at the corner of Union and Court Streets.
- Take the kids trick-or-treating. Several Athens communities have specific dates and times for Beggar’s Night:
- October 27:
The Plains (5:30pm-6:30pm)
- October 31:
Athens Uptown Business Association (6:00pm-7:30pm)
- October 27:
- Think you have a prize-winning costume? Show it off at Nelsonville’s Final Friday’s Halloween Party Night on Friday, Oct. 28, from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Nelsonville Historic Public Square. There will be cash prizes for the best costumes as the Square is invaded by some ghoulish zombies!
- For a night of fun and games, head to Halloween Game Night at the Athens Community Center on Thursday, Oct. 27, from 7:00pm to 9:00pm.
Just a reminder: Block Party visitors cannot park in Ohio University campus parking lots. Alternative parking options include purchasing weekend passes at the Athens County Fairgrounds. There will be shuttle transportation to and from the festivities.
Book a room at one of several local Athens hotels, motels, B&Bs or cabins to make the trip even more enchanting.