Location: 65 North Court Street, Athens
UPDATE: EXHIBIT GALLERY CLOSED DURING RELOCATION
The exhibit gallery of the Athens County Historical Society and Museum at 65 North Court Street is closed as the organization is in the process of relocating their operations to the former First Christian Church at the corner of West State Street and North Congress.
The Museum’s Gift Store and Library will remain open until further notice. Normal hours will continue> Gift Shop will be open Noon – 4pm Tuesday through Saturday. Library will be openNoon – 4pm Tuesday through Friday and on Saturdays by appointment.
The Museum reopens later in the year as the Southeast Ohio History Center at 24 West State Street in the former First Christian Church building.
For more information Contact the Athens County Historical Society and Museum at 740-592-2280.
Step back in time!
Interact with local history! Located in Uptown Athens, The Athens County Historical Society & Museum showcases its vast collection and breadth of local history knowledge via walk-in, hands-on exhibits that immerse visitors in the stories that make Athens County so unique. Your visit will include a trip to the Doctor’s Office, the School Room, the General Store, the Farmers Market, and Interactive Ohio, an exhibit that tests your knowledge of Ohio and Athens County history and geography. The museum also houses the Athens Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society.
The history/genealogy library, located on the first floor, is hailed as one of the best in the state. Become a member today! Group tours and private presentations are available by appointment. 65 North Court Street.
Free admission and parking
The Athens County Historical Society…
- Protects and displays historical treasures
- Mounts different major exhibits during the year
- Publishes histories, genealogical research aids and other books of historical interest
- Takes suitcase museums to county schools and provides special programs and tours for children at the museum
- Conducts family history workshops and provides genealogical research assistance
- Provides assistance with historical projects and research.
- Works closely with Ohio University, the Ohio Historic Preservation Office, the City of Athens, and other organizations on historical projects.